Metagenomics is the study of the variation of species in a complex microbial sample. Using next generation sequencing it is possible to investigate microbial communities by sequencing the marker gene of choice (e.g. 16S) or sampled fragments of the whole genome or transcriptome without the need for culturing.
The metagenomics sequencing service combines sequencing adapter ligation, Illumina* HiSeq*, MiSeq* or Roche* 454 FLX sequencing and comprehensive data analysis including taxonomic identification down to the species level.
Applications of metagenomics include:
- Analyzing the change in microbial communities in varying conditions and time points
- Characterizing the second genome in specific disease situations, such as colon cancer or metabolic disorders
- Analyzing waste water, soil and sediments for bacterial diversity over time and across locations
- Discovery of non-culturable microbes
A dedicated study manager will consult with you on study design to ensure correct sequencing strategies are used to meet your project aims, and will also be your technical resource and point of contact for the length of your project.
Accepted starting material is a pool of PCR products including MID or custom barcodes. Premade libraries ready for sequencing may also be submitted.
Fragment library construction by ligation of sequencing adapters.
Sequencing is performed on the Illumina MiSeq or Roche 454 FLX, depending on the amount of samples and sequencing required.
A variety of data analysis services are available depending on your requirements. Results are delivered via a secure FTP site or are shipped on a portable hard drive depending upon the size of the dataset.
Primary analysis consists of data QC, demultiplexing & FASTQ files delivery.
Optional metagenomics bioinformatics analysis includes:
- Blast against an in-house curated copy of Genbank 16S sequences
- Taxonomic classification using MEGAN analyser
- Delivery of a list of species identified in the sample
- Complimentary follow-up videoconference to support data interpretation
Take The Next Step
To discuss your next project and receive a custom quote or to receive further information on the metagenomic sequencing service, please contact Beckman Coulter Genomics.
Beckman Coulter and the stylized logo are registered trademarks of Beckman Coulter, Inc.